- Ballast is a full-service hybrid publisher with customized publishing packages for each author and project: No one-size fits-all here.
- First, our editors will do a full deep dive and analysis on your manuscript or book idea. For free. Haven’t started writing yet? Our publishing experts will review your book idea and give you an honest assessment and advice.
- We handle each aspect of producing your book, no matter where you are in the process. Our services include: Ghostwriting, Editing, Cover and jacket design, Interior layout, ebook formatting, Audiobook production, Printing, North American distribution, and end-to-end marketing/PR strategies. Not all authors require the complete suite of services, but there is real value in having consistency across your production team for whichever services you require. We’ll customize our recommendation and proposal for your needs.
- Quick time to market: Don’t wait years to release your title. No matter where you are in the writing process, we can get your book published quickly.
- Quality: Whatever format(s) you decide to publish in—hardcover, paperback, Print on Demand, ebook and/or audiobook—the end result will be of the highest quality.
- Rights & Control: You maintain all rights to your work, including editorial and design control.
- Royalties: Keep the bulk of revenues. Get monthly sales, inventory and royalty reports.
- Distribution: Not only do we distribute and fulfill all orders for you, our sales team will actively pitch your book to bookstores and retailers throughout North America.
- Ghostwriting: Our experienced writers write your entire manuscript for and with you. This service is for authors with higher budgets and less time to write.
- Editing: Our talented editors will work closely with you on perfecting your manuscript. Each project requires a different level of editing help, and we provide them all. From content editing and writing coaches to proofreading and copy editing, we’ll provide the proper amount of editing needed for the success of your project.
- Design: One of our talented designers will work closely with you to match your vision (that you may not even know you have) to create an eye-catching cover, dust jacket and interior layout. This includes formatting for ebook sales.
- Production: No matter what format you publish in, your book will be of the highest quality. We publish in hardcover, paperback, POD, ebooks and audiobooks, and use the exact same facilities the large New York houses use.
- Distribution & Fulfillment: While an independent press, Ballast Books has the same reach as the big publishing houses. We have a dedicated sales team to pitch your book for placement in bookstores and retailers throughout North America. Don’t just have your book available on Amazon and online: We work to place your title in major retailers like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Books-A-Million, as well as focusing on the tens of thousands of independent book stores in the U.S. and Canada, big box stores like Target, Walmart and Costco, airports and specialty retailers. All orders are fulfilled from our warehouse and distribution center in the United States.
- Marketing and PR: We create a custom marketing and PR plan for our authors. Our team of book and author marketing professionals will work tirelessly to get you traditional press coverage on tv, radio, and print, new media like blogs and podcasts, plus procure testimonials, reviews, op-ed placements, social media campaigns, book signings, Amazon advertising, and a slew of other tactics we’ve perfected.
- Platform building: We believe that a quality book is the cornerstone of an overall platform. Whatever your ultimate goals are, we’ll incorporate them into your publishing plan. ROI goes well past book sales.
Ballast Books is disrupting the publishing industry.
No longer do potential authors with a great message and background have to spend years querying agents, pitching editors and signing away story rights for a chance at a traditional publishing deal with miniscule royalty rates.